09 June 2005

Book meme

This was passed on to me by Henry at Webiocosm on Tuesday, but I didn’t read it until this morning.

Number of books I own:
Gee, I don’t know. Do I have to count? I would guess about 400. I don’t have more, because I tend to get rid of the ones I don’t like.

Last book I bought:
I think it was The Seashell on the Mountaintop by Alan Cutler. It’s a pretty good book (I decided to keep it) about the life and times of Nicholas Steno who laid the principles of geology.

Last book I read for the first time:
Charles Darwin’s The Formation of Vegetable Mould Through the Action of Worms with Observation on their Habits. It’s an electronic copy I downloaded from Gutenberg. In fact, I am still reading it. It’s an amusing account of Darwin’s almost playful experiments with earthworms ("They exhibited the same indifference to my breath whilst I chewed some tobacco, and while a pellet of cotton-wool with a few drops of millefleurs perfume or of acetic acid was kept in my mouth."

I am changing the last question to:
Five Four books that have influenced me a lot:
The Theory of Evolution by John Maynard Smith - the first book on evolution that I read
Seeds of Discovery by W. I. B. Beveridge - it’s all about the scientific method
Creation Revisited by Peter Atkins - who needs a creator?
The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells - good ol’ 19th century science fiction
There’s probably more, but I can’t think of them now.

Five Four bloggers to inflict this onto:
Bootstrap analysis
Culture of Chemistry
Milkriver
Urban Dragon Hunters

2 comments:

tony g said...

Aydin,

I had a couple of visitors arrive at my blog via yours and checked to find out why and found i'd been passed the book meme. Thanks! I'd intended only a list, but got carried away.

tony g

Michelle said...

Hi Aydin,

I found the book meme on the weekend and have passed it along.

Michelle