28 July 2005

Pictures from high above 2: the Potomac River


Click on picture to enlarge.

I took these pictures on July 19th from my airplane window on the way to Florida. The picture on the right was taken a few seconds after the first one. It took me a while to identify the river in the photographs. I had forgotten how long after we took off from the National Airport I had taken these pictures. First, I looked for the river around Newport News where the Chesapeake opens into the ocean. Then I realized that the second photo was showing the Potomac where it makes a sudden turn to the east.

Compare the numbered landmarks on the photos with the corresponding ones on the map. Number 3 is, I believe, the small island south of Quantico.


Click on picture to enlarge.



The previous post in this series of Pictures from high above was the Pentagon.

No comments: