06 August 2005

The bugs in my hair

Around here, sidewalks are good places to find dead insects (and earthworms). The only problem is I usually run into interesting things when I don't have a container with me. But, I have discovered that insects transported on my head under my hat normally arrive home intact.

While out jogging today, I found not one, but two sidewalk casualties, one dragon fly and one cicada, and brought them home, the usual way, under my hat.


As for earthworms, no, I haven't considered carrying them on my head (yet).

4 comments:

afarensis said...

I going to have to try that some time

deniz bevan said...

I'm not sure how related this is, but it does involve critters on the sidewalk, so here goes (apologies if I've asked this before):
Two years ago (already!) while in Istanbul, walking to work at about 8 am, I came across a loooong line of caterpillars, slowly moving head-to-tail across the sidewalk and into someone's front garden. I trawled through the internet looking for information about caterpillar habits and even emailed a few people, but never received a real answer. If anyone knows or can help me find out why caterpillars travel together, in this kind of formation, and what it may be related to (is it seasonal? an early morning thing? a Turkish thing?), I would appreciate it!
I wasn't wearing a hat at the time, and so couldn't take any with me...

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

It's a Turkish thing...

But, seriously, the caterpillars you saw were probably "Pine Processionary Caterpillars". Funny name, eh?

More info:
http://web.cortland.edu/fitzgerald/PineProcessionary.html

Anonymous said...

i love certain insects! and other things like lizards! and this blog is really interesting!i keep worms and watch them become moths! and they normally come from places like the top of my car and one of them was floating down from a tree.but i do not like ants and spiders. i love snails! but i am afraid of dead things. even if they are dead snails or lizards, unless they are cooked, like fish or roast duck.i just released a moth back into the wild today.it was dark brown and white, like a crinkled dress.