02 November 2005

Meanwhile, back at Belt Woods

BigTulipPoplar
A big mother at Belt Woods. This one is a tulip poplar with yours truly next to it.

Taking advantage of the unusually warm days we‘ve been having, I went back to Belt Woods last Sunday to do more snail collecting.

There are two sections of forest at Belt Woods. One is the so-called South Woods that has never been logged and the other, and the larger, is North Woods, which was selectively logged in 1975 and 1985. The old growth South Woods has the tallest tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera) trees in Maryland and some of the tallest in the eastern U.S.

On Sunday, I explored North Woods for the first time. As you can see in the photo above, some of the trees that were spared the chain saws are truly big and obviously old.

As for snails, there were plenty. During my last trip, I found and photographed some Triodopsis that I still haven’t identified definitely. One of last Sunday’s pleasant discoveries was another species of Triodopsis. This one is T. fallax. I will have more about this species in a future post.

Tfallax2

No comments: