12 February 2006

Happy Birthday Charles!


Charles Darwin (12 February 1809-19 April 1882)

Next day I started for Cambridge to see Henslow, and thence to London to see Fitz-Roy1, and all was soon arranged. Afterwards, on becoming very intimate with Fitz-Roy, I heard that I had run a very narrow risk of being rejected, on account of the shape of my nose! He was an ardent disciple of Lavater, and was convinced that he could judge of a man's character by the outline of his features; and he doubted whether any one with my nose could possess sufficient energy and determination for the voyage. But I think he was afterwards well satisfied that my nose had spoken falsely.

Charles Darwin, Autobiography


1. Robert Fitz-Roy (or FitzRoy or Fitz Roy) was the captain of the Beagle, the ship on which Darwin sailed for 5 years (1831-1836).

No comments: