18 March 2006

I was there

Whenever I recognize a place in an aerial photograph, my usual response is, "Hey, I was there!" This is a photograph of one of those places, a small section of College Park, Maryland.

CPtrcks1

The creek near the middle is the Paint Branch, the CSX tracks are on the left, the Metro tracks are on the right. (North is towards the top.) Here is a close up of the spot where the tracks cross over the creek.

CPtrcks2

The aerial pictures, from Terra Server, were taken on 7 April 2002. Here is a shot I took about 10 days ago looking south between the 2 sets of tracks. I was standing just a few meters off the trail visible in the aerial pictures.

CPtrcks3

The fine sand that has accumulated along this creek is especially good for finding animal tracks. Some examples I have posted are here.

No comments: