Back in February I posted pictures of a long beaver dam I had discovered (here and here). This afternoon I went back to the area. First, I was having difficulty recognizing some of my landmarks until I realized why: a section of the dam had fallen apart and the pond behind the dam was empty. So, the areas that had been previously flooded, including many of the canals, were now dry. The picture below shows what the dam looked like this afternoon.
Compare it with the picture taken on 31 March, the last time I saw the dam intact. The red arrow points at the gnawed tree that was back then in the pond.
Now, the beaver has definitely got some thinking to do.