06 April 2006

Land snails of Turkey: Papillifera papillaris

ppapillaris3

The clausiliid snail Papillifera papillaris is not native to Turkey. Its homeland is believed to be the Italian Peninsula and the nearby islands, including Corsica and Sicily. The species has been inadvertently introduced to many other locations by humans possibly on marble and marble objects. In the AMG Newsletter No. 9, I have a note on the occurrence of P. papillaris in Istanbul.

These snails naturally live on calcerous rocks. Hence their propensity to be transported on marble and limestone. The species gets its name from the more or less regularly spaced white protuberances along its sutures. The shell in the picture, from Yedikule, a Byzantine-Ottoman fort in Istanbul, was 12.9 mm long.

Update posted 21 August 2008: See this post about the discovery of this species in the UK.

4 comments:

pascal said...

Any evidence of their being transported even further? Like did the roman baths in southern spain bring in clausiliids - or other calciphiles?

I remember seeing an oblique reference to a paper wondering if the vikings brought a species of snail to Minnesota... I'll have to look that up.

pascal said...

Blogger seems to be trying to hide the comment - I'll repeat myself just so I can make sure it's visible...

"Any evidence of their being transported even further? Like did the roman baths in southern spain bring in clausiliids - or other calciphiles?

I remember seeing an oblique reference to a paper wondering if the vikings brought a species of snail to Minnesota... I'll have to look that up."

rex said...

Last night on the BBC News
these creatures were found to have been here in Buckinghmshire for a long time having come over in marble slabs at Clifton House.
This is a National Trust property and it seems they have been in these marbles plinths since 1896.
I shall write a poem to this effect today and post it on my website

Anonymous said...

I spotted these snails recently at the National Trust's Cliveden House in Maidenhead, Buckinghamshire, SL6 0JA, UK