09 June 2006

Friday afternoon's beer review: Hefeweizen from Portland, Oregon

hefeweizen1
This is an unfiltered wheat beer with a smooth, very nice flavor; a perfect beer for a warm summer afternoon. It is fashioned after the German Hefeweizen beers, one of which (Franziskaner) I have already reviewed here. But this one comes from the Widmer Brothers Brewery in Portland, Oregon.

hefeweizen2
I chanced upon this beer in a supermarket near Tampa, Florida last weekend. Unfortunately, my usual beer store here in Maryland doesn't carry it. But I will be asking them to order it for me.

If you happen to be drinking one, don't forget to look inside the cap for a cheering message!

Cheers!


Index to the Snail's Tales' Beer Reviews

2 comments:

MartyB/Damascus OR said...

Pardon me for saying so, but Widmer Hefe is one of the worst I've ever had. Unfortunately, it's about the only one most places here in the Portland area carry. Though it's unfiltered, it is bitter and flavorless when compared to real German Weißbiers. The best, of course, are the Bavarians, with Paulaner at the top and Franziskaner an almost indistinguishable second. But just yesterday I chanced upon the first (and only?) U.S. microbrew Hefe that tastes like the real thing: El Jefe Weizen from Hales Brewery in Seattle. Gotta try some!

Anonymous said...

I disagree. Widmer Hefeweizen is my favorite beer. It's actually the only beer I stumbled upon and liked. LOVE IT!