01 June 2006

How I spotted a really tiny bug while reading about bird's nest soup

When I run into long posts on my favorite blogs, I usually print them out to read them later, preferably, weather permitting, early in the evening on my deck while enjoying a cold beer and a dish of chocolate covered pecans. A few evenings ago during one such session, I was reading a post from bootstrap analysis on how collection of their nests to make bird's nest soup may be driving certain Asian species of swifts to extinction.

Suddenly one of the commas on the page started to move. You see, about 2 weeks ago I got new glasses with a stronger prescription. So now, I can see the tiniest things clearly. But my first reaction to this mobile comma was like "Whoa, dude! It must be the beer". Then, I realized this was no ordinary comma. It was a live creature! Yes, barely as big as a comma, but self-propelled animal matter, nevertheless.

tnybg1

I rushed inside to get the camera and when I returned I could still spot it on the paper thanks to the new glasses. Below is the closest and sharpest shot of it I could get while handholding the camera (it was moving surprisingly fast for its size).

tnybg2I was hoping to take more pictures of the creature, but it either got annoyed by my intrusion into its private life or didn't like what Nuthatch had written (I liked it, though), curved its tail up, which I could see very well (did I mention my new glasses?), and then, disappeared into thin air. It must have used its tail to catapult itself up and away, perhaps into my beard.



I will appreciate any ideas about what species this insect may have been.

6 comments:

deniz said...

It seems to me that, the tinier the creature, the faster it moves. I too spotted a speck of a being only the other day, a wee orange spider about the size of your bug, frantically running around and around the table I was sitting at. Whatever these creatures eat, and however fast their invisible-to-the-naked-eye digestive systems work, it seems that all their energy goes to scrabbling madly over any surface they find themselves on...

Cindy said...

I'm guessing it could be a thrip. There are lots of different kinds of thrips, and I can't find one that looks exactly like yours, but here's a link to a similar one.

SlingingPecans said...

By your desciption of its actions, my guess is a click beetle.

Lisa said...

Did you submit it to

Lisa said...

Did you submit it to

(Sorry, submitted too soon earlier!)

vanessa cardui said...

I would also say it is a thrip.