06 June 2006

Tame birds of Florida

heron1

Around here in Maryland, the Great Blue Herons are normally very difficult to approach to; if I can get within about 25 m of one with a telephoto lens on my camera, I consider myself lucky. Down in Florida, however, they and other large water birds seem to be unusually tame. I noted this in a post last summer about a hiking trip I had taken in the J.N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island.

heron2

Last weekend in Tampa area, I was amazed again how close I could get to the herons and egrets. This Great Blue Heron was at a beach parking lot. I walked within about 3 m of it without disturbing it. When you are that close to such a large bird, a 50-mm lens, which is what I used, is more than enough.

egret

This Great Egret posing with my son next to our rental car was at another spot. I don't know what makes the birds of Florida tamer and whether that is better or worse for the birds. The residents seem to ignore the birds; only the tourists like me go after them with a camera. Most of the areas where I have encountered such "tame" birds are places that seem to have been developed recently. Perhaps, the birds haven't yet learned to fear humans.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Yes, they are beautiful birds. Lovely pics as well. Great that you got them so close!

Clare said...

Brilliant pics - there's so much detail - I hadn't realised before how herons wear their wings in such an -off-the-shoulder fashion.