31 July 2006

Yet another book meme

Duane at Abnormal Interests tagged me with this one. Didn't we do a meme like this a while back?

1. One book that changed your life?
I don't think there has ever been a book that had a great influence on me. Every book I have read has probably influenced me a little bit. But one recent book that has influenced me a lot is Peter Atkin's Creation Revisited.

2. One book you have read more than once?
During my teenage years I was very much into snorkelling and spear fishing. And probably every summer I read and reread Jacques-Yves Cousteau's The Silent World (actually the Turkish translation of it). I have also read H. G. Wells' The Invisible Man twice. A great tale.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. What else?

4. One book that made you laugh?
Jaroslav Hašek's The Good Soldier Švejk.

5. One book that made you cry?
Can't think of any in recent history. I stay away from the sad stuff. Life is too short for crying.

6. One book you wish had been written?
Natural History and Diversity of Terrestrial Mollusks. I may have to write it myself.

7. One book you wish had never been written?
Any and all of the texts of the Western religions, Christianity, Judaism and Islam. Look how much trouble they are giving us.

8. One book you are currently reading?
This week: The Rarest of the Rare - Stories Behind the Treasures at the Harvard Museum of Natural History by Nancy Pick (text) & Mark Sloan (photographs). Next week I will probably read one of the several books I brought back from my recent trip to Turkey, perhaps Ercan Eren's Geçmişten Günümüze Anadolu'da Bira ("History of Beer in Anatolia" - not the literal translation).

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
Ernst Mayr's The Growth of Biological Thought. I inherited a copy from a late friend's library in 2000. It's been sitting on the shelf ever since.

10. Five people I am tagging.
Hmmm...Budak at Annotated Budak, Clare at Keeper of the Snails, John at A DC Birding Blog, Pamela at Thomasburg Walks and last, but not least, my niece Deniz who doesn't have a blog, but I am sure she will post her answers in the comments.

4 comments:

deniz said...

Of course I will! I love book-related questionnaires! And though I'm not at work at the moment, I usually fill these things out while taking a break :-)

1. One book that changed your life?
Hmm, probably the Lord of the Rings. I've re read that one more than any other and my whole interest in languages developed out of that.

2. One book you have read more than once?
See 1. But also a lot of the books I read as a kid, T.S. Eliot's Four Quartets, Agatha Christie, Gone With the Wind, In the Skin of A Lion - actually I re read everything.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
Well, the Lord of the Rings I suppose.

4. One book that made you laugh?
The Dortmunder Series by Westlake

5. One book that made you cry?
Everything makes me cry! The Velveteen Rabbit. Watership Down. Bunnies in general.

6. One book you wish had been written?
What the Turks did and who they were before Coming to Anatolia.

7. One book you wish had never been written?
Most of anything published after the 60s

8. One book you are currently reading?
Just one?? I'm reading Lewis, Gabaldon, Bevan, Fry, Tolkien, Waugh, etc., etc. I'd like to read that Anatolian Beer book though!!!

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
One Hundred Years of Solitude. It just sits there.

10. Five people I am tagging.
oh, who knows. I don't know anyone personally who has such a good blog, but check out www.myspace.com/gravemen

John said...

I posted my response. I got tagged twice on for one, so I figured I better do it.

clare said...

Thanks Aörstan! I didn't notice you'd tagged me when I first read this. I think I must have been distracted by the mantis!

dainfomaster said...

There is a new English translation of Svejk under way. Book One is out as a paperback, Books One and Two have been published as an e-book. Books Three and Four are being edited for publication. To learn more and to buy follow the links below. :-)

Get "svejked" [shvaked] at www.zenny.com
Visit the Svejk Central pilot site at www.SvejkCentral.com