05 September 2006

I saw her thru the bathroom window

agama

Near the end of our trip in Turkey last July, we spent a couple of days as guests of my cousin and his family in the western town of Foça. One morning, as I was minding my own business in the bathroom, I looked outside the window and spotted this lizard on the wall of the neighbor's house. I ran out, grabbed my camera and ran back in to take a couple of photos. It was apparently a Laudakia stellio.

One study1 that involved the killing of 91 of these lizards in southern Turkey determined that they ate mostly insects. Even though I am citing it, this is a type of study that I don't condone. There is no excuse in killing so many animals just to see what they were eating. If I were a journal editor, I would refuse to publish these sorts of studies.

As reported by Mienis2, these lizards also prey on land snails. Mienis made his determination from the analysis of fecal pellets of lizards.


1. Düsen & Öz. 2001. A Study on the Feeding Biology of Laudakia (=Agama) stellio (L. 1758) (Lacertilia: Agamidae) Populations in the Antalya Region. Turkish Journal of Zoology, 25:177-181. pdf
2. Mienis. 1990. Predation on landsnails by the lizard Agama stellio in Israel. Zeitschrift für angewandte Zoologie, 77:253-256.

2 comments:

nemo said...

"I don't condone", I think that's a typo?

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

condone: To overlook, forgive, or disregard (an offense) without protest or censure.