16 April 2007

Yes, Mr. Morris give my £4,600,000 to Janet

This e-mail came today:

HSBC BANK OF LONDON
LONDON-UNITED KINGDOM
TEL #: +44-704 018 5556
FAX #: +44 870 4792 483
E-MAIL: info.hsbcintlbank@yahoo.de

YOUR OVER DUE INHERITANCE FUND £4,600,000.00.

THIS IS TO NOTIFY YOU THAT YOUR OVER DUE INHERITANCE/CONTRACT FUNDS HAS BEEN GAZETTE [sic] TO BE RELEASED, VIA KEY TELEX TRANSFER (KTT) -DIRECT WIRE TRANSFER TO YOU OR THROUGH INTERNATIONAL CERTIFIRED [sic] BANK DRAFT (ICBD) BY THE SENATE COMMITTEE FOR FOREIGN OVER DUE FUND TRANSFER LONDON.

MEANWHILE, A WOMAN CAME TO MY OFFICE FEW DAYS AGO WITH A LETTER, CLAIMING TO BE YOUR TRUE REPRESENTATIVE. HERE ARE HER INFORMATION'S [sic] FOR YOU TO CONFIRM TO THIS OFFICE IF THIS WOMAN IS TRULY FROM YOU OR NOT SO THAT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING INTO THE WRONG ACCOUNT NAME:

NAME: JANET WHITE
BANKNAME: CITI BANK
BANK ADDRESS: ARIZONA, USA.
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 6503809428.

...

INFORMATION NEEDED FROM YOU FOR VERIFICATION IS AS FOLLOW:

1. YOUR NAME:
2. YOUR FULL ADDRESS:
3. YOUR TELEPHONE:
4. FAX:
5. AGE:
6. SEX:
7. YOUR OCCUPATION:

...HOWEVER, WE SHALL PROCEED TO ISSUE ALL PAYMENTS DETAILS TO THE SAID MRS. WHITE, IF WE DO NOT HEAR FROM YOU WITHIN THE NEXT SEVEN WORKING DAYS FROM TODAY.

BEST REGARDS,

MR. JOHN MORRIS
HSBC BANK DIRECTOR
INTERNATIONAL REMITTANCE/FOREIGN

Are these e-mails meant to be jokes? I mean, could there really be totally clueless folks out there who would take an e-mail like this seriously and contact these people in hopes of getting a ridiculously high sum of money?

Who would announce such a large "inheritance" with such a poorly written e-mail? If I have inherited this money, how come the Bank of London doesn't even know my name? What is the source of this inheritance anyway? Why would the e-mail domain for the Bank of London be "yahoo.de"?

This really insults my intelligence guys. If you are trying to fool me, you have to try harder, much harder than this. But I don't think you are intelligent enough to come up with anything better, Mr. Morris.

On the other hand, if this is a joke, it did make me laugh.

3 comments:

Ken said...

Apparently they work, which says a lot about the average persons intelligence.

Better anti-spam filtering should remove them.

burning silo said...

My email trash bin picks up tons of spam allegedly sent by individuals from Cote d'Ivoire or Dubai who wish to leave me a fortune as they are dying from esophageal cancer. If I were an epidemiologist, I'd probably be interested in investigating the preponderance of cases of this particular form of cancer in those two countries.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

I have never gotten an offer like that, but I win a lottery drawn in Europe almost daily.