18 May 2007

It's official: I look like a scientist

Last Monday I arrived at the airport in Istanbul wearing my Tin Cloth Packer Hat by Filson. Not that I was expecting rough weather inside the building, but I had no better place to put it than the top of my head. Later, a security officer asked me to remove the hat so that he could compare me with my likeness in my passport. Hours later, at the JFK Airport in New York, I took the hat off preemptively before I got to passport control. As the passport officer was handing back my passport, I put the hat back on. The officer took a look at me and asked me where I worked. I told him. Then he asked me if I was a scientist. I said "Yes". He shook his head knowingly and said "You look like a scientist."

It must have been the hat.

scientist
The scientist and his hat in the field (photo by Ümit Kebapçi).

4 comments:

Snail said...

Yes, you definitely look like a biologist in that hat!

Nuthatch said...

But do you smell like one? (Still contemplating your knock-off cologne mash-up.)

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

If a scientist who has spent several hours in the field is supposed to smell like sweat (after his special cologne has worn off), then yes, I smell like one. Not all the time, mind you.

clare said...

Yes, tis true - couldn't be anything else...