17 May 2007

Malacologist's sink

Helixinsink1

We collected these large Helixes at an apple orchard in southwestern Turkey a couple of weeks ago. They were very abundant. They must like the apples, although the ones I tried-the apples, not the snails-were not that tasty for my human taste buds. Later in my hotel room, the sink was a perfect temporary holding pen for them.

While the snails explored their new environment, leaving behind thick globs of slime, I was able to get close-up shots of them. Luckily, the hotel owner wasn't around at that time (this was a small mom and pop business, literally owned and operated by a nice elderly couple).

Helixinsink2

The species will be determined in the future.

12 comments:

deniz said...

oops! I mean snails not slugs!

deniz said...

Okay, for some reason my first comment didn't come through. What I had said was: they're so cute! Did you bring them back the next day? That's what you normally do isn't it?
Then I asked how slugs ate apples. But I meant snails. How do snails pierce an apple's skin?

Michelle said...

Do you have trouble bringing back live animals through customs? I'm remembering a trip back where a salami sandwich (uneaten during the flight)caused untold grief at the other end.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

I am sorry to admit that those cute snails were later preserved in alcohol. I don't like doing it and I try my best to limit the number of live snails we take, but sometimes preserved specimens are necessary for identification purposes.

Snails and slugs do have teeth on an organ called radula that are sharp enough to cut thru plant tissue.

It is indeed illegal to bring live snails into the U.S. as it is to bring in any type of meat product without a permit.

Anonymous said...

Dear Örstan,
At first sight it is a simple H. lucorum????
regards, Zoltán

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Zoltán, it may not be that simple!

deniz said...

oh! poor dead snails! does that suffocate them or drown them? what kind of alcohol? do they get drunk first and then pass out or drown instantly?

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Hopefully, they get drunk first & die happily, if they can exhibit such emotions, of course.

Zippo said...

Ooooo!
What I'd do to get my hands on some! :(

burning silo said...

I'm sure the hotel owners would have been thrilled to see those handsome snails in the bathroom sink (not!). Sounds like you had a good trip. And yes, you do look like a scientist in that hat. (-:

Michelle said...

Aydin,

It's good to know they go as happily as snails can?!

umit said...

I should say their reflexes before death is something different than being drunk. They contract rapidly and ejaculate some mucous substance :)