23 May 2007

Naughty cats

naughtycats

Yes, they were mating.

According to Desmond Morris (Catwatching, 1986) the male cat bites the back of the female's neck during mating (see above) to immobilize her and to protect himself from a likely attack from his mate. Apparently, a cat's becoming limp in response to being held by the scruff of its neck is an evolved reaction that helps mother cats transport their kittens. Obviously, it also helps them propagate themselves.

Once I tried the neck-hold on one of my cats when I wanted to bring her in from the outside; for several weeks afterwards, I had deep gashes on my arms inflicted by her claws. I should have tried biting her neck instead.

5 comments:

Duane said...

In California, this would be illegal if they were doing it within 100 feet of a school. I'm not sure our cat knows the law. But then again, because he is "fixed" he doesn't need to.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

I photographed those cats in Istanbul. We were at a seaside restaurant where there was a bunch of cats. The action captured in the above photo took place right there between the tables.

Tristram Brelstaff said...

Just this morning, on my way to the station, there were two mallard ducks at it in the middle of the path. They were so occupied that I almost had to step over them.

Nuthatch said...

The danger for the male apparently has to do with the spikes on his penis. As I recall, they are indeed painful to the female (especially upon withdrawal) but somehow stimulate ovulation. Or something like that. I'm too tired to look it up, but thought it was titillating enough to mention!

budak said...

two mallard ducks? or drakes? or worse necrophiliac waterfowl....

http://www.nmr.nl/nmr/pages/showPage.do?instanceid=16&itemid=1930&style=default

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/research/story/0,9865,1432991,00.html