17 June 2007

Frog legs for lunch

My uncle loved fishing. Although we, his 2 sons and I, never developed much of an enthusiasm for angling, we would occasionally tag along with him. During one such trip many, many years ago in the countryside outside of Ankara, Turkey, my cousin Metin and I got some fishing gear and gave it a try. But instead of fish, Metin and I kept pulling large frogs out of the creek. Then, one of us had a bright idea: why not eat the frogs for lunch? My uncle had no objections (he was a cool guy).


froglegs1
Metin with one of the luckless frogs that became our lunch.

I don't want to try to remember how we killed the poor frogs before we chopped off their legs. We skinned the legs, skewered them on sticks and then roasted them over an open fire, while my uncle was cooking the stew he had prepared with the fish he had caught.


froglegs3

The roasted frog legs did taste good (like chicken?). Since then, I've had frog legs once, in a restaurant in New York several years ago. Those were a disappointment.

Would I eat them again? If I were starving in the wilderness somewhere I would, if I could catch them. But I wouldn't eat them in a restaurant, especially if they were wild-caught frogs. Do they have frog farms?

froglegs2
Yours truly in his underwear recovering one of the fish that had gotten tangled in the reeds. I think it was a trout.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there mr. Orstan

I'm a journalist in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and I'm looking into supposedly phony awards given by the American Biographical Institute, as a conductor from my country has just been 'honoured' with an "Award Foundation" carrying his name by the ABI. That is to say, they are going to give (sell?) awards through 'his' foundation. Oh, he also got a prize (Man of the Year) from the International Biographical Centre, from England, which apparently does exactly what the ABI does on the queen's turf.

Looking for information, I came across your blog and I read about what you've gone through with the IBC.
I would like to include your story in my article, if you don't mind.

So, when they asked for money and you refused to pay, was your award/nomination cancelled? How did they find you in the first place? What else can you tell me about this episode?
Would you mind emailing me? My adress is fradkin@oglobo.com.br

I work for the newspaper O Globo. My name is Eduardo Fradkin.

Thank you!