12 June 2007

An ugly lady on the sidewalk

When I came across this creature, it was crossing a sidewalk hurriedly. Luckily, as I started fumbling with the controls of my camera, it found something edible and stopped. That gave me a chance to photograph it without having to chase after it. It didn't even mind the ruler I placed next to it.

ladybeetlelarva1
The scale is in millimeters.

If I am not mistaken, this was a convergent lady beetle (Hippodamia convergens) larva. Compare my photos with this one.

ladybeetlelarva2

2 comments:

Deniz said...

eeee! looks like a Dalek! still, she's a lot better looking than some of the THINGS on that other website you linked to (bugguide.net)...
word verification: ovlmv

monado said...

I saw several lady-bird larvae the other day, but I don't know the species. They had reddish-orange instead of yellow. I've been carefully picking them up off our laundry and putting them back into the apple tree.