22 August 2007

45 rpm record? What is that?

During the dark ages, a long time before such words as iPod, mp3, YouTube were invented, there were 45 rpm records and we used to listen to them using machines that were very unimaginatively called "record players".

This is what a 45 rpm record looked like.

teacher

If you handled a record long enough, it would inevitably get scratched, which would, of course, worsen the sound quality. You can see several scratches on this particular record.

Back in the the dark ages when I was in high school in Turkey, I had a friend named Selim who had a pen pal named Liz, who, if I am remembering it correctly, lived in England. This record of Jethro Tull's Teacher was a gift from Liz to Selim. Their letter-writing friendship has been immortalized, at least for the time being, in the dedication on the record.

I found this record in a cabinet full of a whole bunch of other old stuff in my mom's place in Istanbul last May. I recognized it immediately, but I had no idea how it had ended up in my possession. Just a few days ago, I sent an e-mail to Selim (yes, I am still in touch with him, although I haven't seen him in more than a decade) and told him about it. He thinks he may have given it to me. Now, don't let Liz hear that.

Here's Jethro Tull performing Teacher:

7 comments:

...Kat said...

very cool label to that 45!

Tristram Brelstaff said...

I bet you can't find anything to play it on!

Roger B. said...

Remember the paper sleeves?

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Yes, I remember the paper sleeves & no, I don't have a record player anymore. The one at mom's place has been broken for some time now.

Brenda said...

Gosh...Except for the moustache, Ian Anderson looks like my older son.

Selim Dorak the President said...

It is nice to meet my stolen 45 rpm record as a photo on net..May I please request 8345 $ payment for this record ? Ian Anderson offered 9345 $ , so this shows my friendship including a discount of 1000 $ for Aydın ..
Sorry, in fact it was a gift from me in 1974 in Mecidiyekoy to Aydın after I drank vodka..
Now, I hate to drink ...

John said...

I remember records. They were still in use when I was very young.