05 August 2007

A chemistry set for tiny chemists


These tiny and rather cute pieces of glassware are keepsakes from the days I used to do research as a chemist. Actually, I never used them and although they are real laboratory items, I can't imagine who would need such tiny vials.


The marks on the beaker indicate that it is Pyrex and has a volume of 1 ml.

All I need to complete the set is some equally small test tubes. Then I will be ready to do some big chemistry.


Note added later: I found the original box for the tiny vial with stopper in the 2nd and 3rd photos. It is a "weighing bottle" to use to accurately weigh very small amounts of chemicals, usually solids. This is how I learned to do it way back when: First, you dry the empty bottle to a constant weight, then you add the substance to be weighed in it and place the bottle in a desiccator until its weight stops changing. The difference between the weight of the empty bottle and the bottle plus the substance will be the weight of the substance. The bottle is capped with its tight-fitting stopper when it is outside the desiccator so that moisture won't get inside. This particular one was manufactured by Arthur H. Thomas Co. in Philadelphia (catalogue No. 9977-D).


Kevin Z said...

You'll also need a tiny glass stirring rod to stir the mixture over a tiny bunson burner. Is like a doll house for geeks?? I gotta get my daughter this stuff!

Anonymous said...

Looks suspiciously like some sort of illegal drug kit for squirrels to me.

Anonymous said...

With the oil from your fingers there is no way you can get constant weight. You forgot to use the forceps and tongues to lift the caps and vials, respectively.
Yepm those were the days my fiend ... (Petula Clark, 196x) Don't forget the swinging arm balance, 3 left 2 right.


Well, yes, of course. We dried chemicals in ovens & the glassware would have been to hot pick up with bare fingers anyway.

That wasn’t Petula Clark who sang that song, by the way. It was Mary Hopkins(?).

Allie said...

Where did you get this?!


I think such tiny pieces glassware are sold by the companies that sell glassware. They are intended for actual lab work. I must have accumulated these during my lab days.