07 August 2007

Landschnecken und Süsswassermollusken...

molluskposter2

Achtung, folks! If you are planning to do any mollusk collecting or mollusk photography in Europe, you will find this set of 6 plastic-coated identification cards very useful. Each card is about 29.5x21.5 cm and features color photos of the shells of the most common central European mollusks along with their common and up to date scientific names.

The cards are double-sided, so on 6 cards you get a lot of creatures, including Landschnecken und Nacktschnecken (land snails and naked snails, that is, slugs, of course), Süsswassermollusken (freshwater mollusks) and not only the mollusks but also some other shore creatures, including crabs and shrimps of Nordsee und Ostsee (North Sea and East Sea. East Sea? Oh, they mean the Baltic Sea). Yes, the cards are in German, but that shouldn't prevent them from being useful. Besides, you'll have an excuse, if you need one, to learn a few words of German.

molluskposter1

The set was prepared by Vollrath Wiese und Ira Richling of the nature museum Haus der Natur in Cismar, Germany. I bought my set at the World Congress of Malacology in Antwerp. The cards are available from my friend Francisco Welter-Schultes's company Planet Poster Editions.

3 comments:

Charles said...

Aydin,

You only show 5 of the cards :-o
I too purchased a set at the WCM and find them useful in identifying my common European material.

Charlie

Brenda said...

I love your blog! Having surfed here via a "potomac gorge" google, I feel very fortunate to have found your site, and will bookmark it as a favorite.

I have to share this snail story with you:
About 15 years ago, I found a pair of snails in my garden, on my yucca plant. I decided to bring them inside and keep them in a terrarium for awhile.

Having no experience with snails, I called the Smithsonian and spoke with someone in the Mollusk Division, to ensure that I was giving the snails all they needed.

She told me that the department had, in the late 1980s, reorganized their collection, and came across a set of snails that had been collected in the 1920s, which came from Italy. They had been glued to pages of cardboard, then stored for decades.

When the Smithsonian staff came across that collection in the 80s, they were surprised to find that two of the snails were actually still alive, and had apparently survived for the last 60 years on cardboard and glue.

The story has a happy ending. One of the staff members was planning a trip to Italy, and took the snails with her, to release in the region of their origin.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Brenda, thank you for your interesting comment. My response is here.