14 September 2007

A funny story

Today I ran into one of my neighbors from down the street whom I hadn't seen in a long time. Years ago we used to ride the bus together on the way home from work. At that time he was working for a company that was developing some software for the State Department to track down unwanted aliens, although what exactly my neighbor did wasn't clear (he now works as a security guard somewhere else).

Our encounter today reminded me of the day when we were sitting next to each other on the bus and he was telling me about his company. Our mutual misunderstanding of words resulted in the following conversation (this was years before 9/11).

He: The software will help the immigration guys keep the terrorists out.
Me: Why do they want to keep the tourists out?
He (perturbed): Why would you want terrorists in our country?
Me (puzzled): What's wrong with tourists?
He (frustrated): Don't you know what a terrorist is?
Me (annoyed): Of course I know what a tourist is!

Eventually, we sorted it out.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I have seen tourists that behaved more like terrorists.

Kevin Z said...

Perhaps some of the terrorists were being tourists before the act of terrorism... or was tourism...(scratches head)