09 September 2007

Tomato thermodynamics

hot tomato

An animal, a slug maybe, had violated the integrity of this backyard tomato by opening up a hole on top of it. I took advantage of this portal to the inner universe of the tomato by conducting a little experiment in tomato calorimetry.

The results conclusively demonstrate that tomatoes exposed to full sun could get rather hot. At 1500 hours yesterday afternoon this tomato had an inside temperature of 44°C.

Next project from the dull edge of science: a lentil mystery.

3 comments:

Grandpa said...

"I love science" says my grandson. Hey Thanks! I guess.

Duane said...

What was the ambient outside temperature? Heck, if that tomato had been in my backyard early last week, its skin would have been 44°C on the outside sitting in the shade.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Duane: I should have measured the air temperature, but I didn't. There are so many factors influencing the temperature of an object directly exposed to the sun & air temperature is only one of them.

Here is yesterday's report from NWS:

CLIMATE REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
522 PM EDT SAT SEP 8 2007

VALID TODAY AS OF 0500 PM LOCAL TIME.
TEMPERATURE(F)
MAXIMUM 91 225 PM

91 F is 32.8 C, but the reported temperatures are normally measured in the shade.