11 November 2007

Teh populaiton fo mispellings

In last week's New Scientist, the Feedback page (open access) listed some of the most often misspelled words on the Internet. One reader claimed that definately tops the list with 17,400,000 hits from Google, but when I just searched for it I got "only" 1,970,000 hits. Another champion is teh, misspelling of the; it is so common a mistake that it has apparently entered the Internet lingo according to this Wikipedia article.

I often misspell the word population (but only when typing). But ever since I entered populaiton in the auto correct list of Word, I don't notice anymore when I've made the mistake. According to Google, populaiton exists on the Internet 10,900 times.

Another word that makes me stop and think for a second is apparently. My confusion comes from the etymologically related appear making me type (or write) apperantly (170,000 times on the Internet) or apperently (271,000 times).

Speaking of misspellings, here is Dr. Jerrold H. Zar's poem about the failings of spell checkers.

5 comments:

Deniz Bevan said...

It peeks my interest that some people manage to eek out a living while misspelling everything...

pascal said...

My personal favorite typo is "SNADSTONE."

I tend to do that a lot - fortunately, I usually catch it before sending it to my advisor...

Nuthatch said...

Here's a crappy spell checker boo-boo I found judging a middle-school science fair:
http://tinyurl.com/2rk8ze

John said...

I think that most of the times that I have seen "teh" on the internet, the misspelling has been deliberate. I am not sure what started that, but the usage is popular.

There are a few words that I mistype regularly, even though I know their proper spelling. Luckily either I notice them or Firefox points them out to me before I post them on my blog.

choy jian ning said...

hey! i think i know what the mystery objects are! i think they're butterfly eggs. i have them ini school. they hatched into moths. but i'm from sinigapore so maybe yours are not. wait for 7 days and check on them. i mean 7 days from when they appeared. (: