In this post from a week ago, I wrote about a dormant land snail I had found in the woods. I had grand plans for that snail. I was hoping that it would stay put in its little hole in the soil until the middle of March when I would take it, revive it and try to identify it. It was going to be a famous snail; a datum in a future scientific paper, not to mention ad libitum access to lettuce. But, it wasn't meant to be. Yesterday, exactly 8 days after I had placed it back in its little hole, I went back there to check up on it. The snail was nowhere to be found. Oh, well, that's the end of that experiment.
But while searching for it, I found an adult Haplotrema concavum buried in soil only a few centimeters away from the spot where the other snail had been. This snail too had a mucus membrane covering its aperture.
This time, I didn't touch the snail. After taking its photos, I covered it back up with soil and leaves. Let's see if this one will be there next time I stop by that spot.