12 December 2007

Did you read that on Snail's Tales or Snails' Tails?

I learned from a recent post by Alun over at Clioaudio that the Scientific American recently started an online community. One of the things you can do there is create your blog if you think there aren't already enough of them around.

I decided to try it out with a "mirror" blog that I have named......Snails' Tails. For the time being, I won't be posting anything different there than what I have here. In fact, I am simply cross-posting, cutting and pasting, really, some of the more natural history and science oriented posts from here.

One thing I noticed is that one doesn't have much of any freedom with the set-up of one's blog at the Scientific American Community; they even name your blog for you in a generic fashion as "your name's blog". On the other hand, you don't need to do much to start blogging; mine was up & running in less than 5 minutes.

As Alun also notes in his criticism, it would be good to have a way of tracking the blog visitors. The SciAm Community appears to be at an experimental stage at this point. Things will probably change.

No comments: