11 December 2007

In the heat of a candle

I wrote about the "penis" that I had removed from the isopod Trachelipus rathkii. I had been keeping it in glycerol. Last nite I decided to mount it in glycerine jelly for more permanent storage.

Glycerine jelly needs to be melted before anything can be placed in it. It only takes 10-15 seconds of heating to melt small pieces of it and the easiest way to accomplish that is to use a candle.

GlycerineJelly

I mounted the isopod's penis between 2 cover glasses, one square, the other circular. The use of 2 cover glasses allows the examination of both surfaces of the mounted object. In the picture below, the isopod's penis is the whitish object near the center of the circular cover glass. The 2 smaller bright objects are air bubbles, which are difficult to avoid and get rid of when preparing glycerine jelly mounts.

DoubleCoverglass

After the glycerine jelly hardens, I will "ring" the circular cover glass, in other words, seal its edges, with nail polish. My favorite color is red.

1 comment:

xoggoth said...

Hey! I think that's bigger than mine!