31 January 2008

Get your papers embossed here

I spent the afternoon at the National Museum of Natural History in D.C. I was at the Mollusk library for several hours looking up stuff. As I was getting ready to leave, I noticed this ancient contraption on a shelf.

Bartsch1

I took it down, slid a piece a paper under the brown disk and push the lever down. The raised image it created on the paper was for the library's Bartsch Collection.

Bartsch2

Paul Bartsch (1871-1960) was a malacologist and a curator in the Division of Mollusks of the National Museum of Natural History from 1914 to 1946. (Back then, the museum was called the U.S. National Museum.) After Bartsch died, his collection of books was probably given to the museum's library.

2 comments:

Andrew G. McArthur said...

I remember this device quite well as I spent so many hours of my post-doc in that library. I could probably find a number of papers and notebooks with that emboss in my collection. It was hard to resist.

Dave Coulter said...

I remember when I was in DC many years ago my ex and I noticed that seemingly every single government agency (FBI, State Dept, etc) had their own custom flag!

Your photo makes me wonder what sort of flag the Division of Mollusks might have flown?

Hey...maybe this could be a contest? I mean, look how famous Betsy Ross is now!