03 January 2008

Science Illustrated: A new popular science magazine

The Bonnier Corporation of Denmark, the publisher of Popular Science and several other magazines, now has a new bimonthly: Science Illustrated. From its contents and lay-out, I believe SI is targeted at lay people with no or little science background. And it would indeed be a good magazine for them. The 1st issue covers a lot of topics using many, many good photographs and drawings; in addition to longer pieces, there are also numerous easier-to-read informative snippets. Some of the topics covered are, however, of the run of the mill variety. How many articles about T. rex or the Titanic hitting an iceberg can one read before reaching the saturation point, really?

I was sent a free copy of the 1st number, January/February 2008. I enjoyed looking at it, but decided not to subscribe. Fascinating though science is, it is not just flashy pictures and stories of exciting discoveries. Science, by its very nature, incorporates a lot of uncertainty and controversy. But I see little of those aspects of science in this magazine and perhaps because of that the coverage appeared a bit superficial to me. I recommend that the editors of SI do some copying from my favorite magazine, and to which I subscribe, the New Scientist.

2 comments:

Ardent said...

Hi Aydin, I have been visiting and reading your blog. This post however was somewhat biased ...'How many articles about T. rex or the Titanic hitting an iceberg can one read before reaching the saturation point, really?'
Aydin I am an Orchid fanatic and no amount of literature will produce a saturation point. Same as yourself, no amount of Snail information will ever deliver a saturation point :)
Cheers, keep up the good work.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

It all depends on the quality & the originality of information. Who would want to read the same old stuff over & over?