05 May 2008

Another Chrysemys picta

ChrysemysPicta1

This Eastern painted turtle was on the C&O Canal towpath last Friday afternoon when I was returning from my limestone and snail expedition.

I had never examined one of these turtles this closely before. The bright red patches on its legs and tail were striking.

ChrysemysPicta3

When it saw me approaching, it withdrew into its shell and refused to come out. All I wanted was a nice shot of its head. I had settle for one of its snout instead.

ChrysemysPicta4

Back in April, I wrote about a juvenile Eastern painted turtle that I had found by a lake near my house. That one, perhaps because it was still naive, was actually braver than this much bigger one and didn't hide its head away from me.


1 comment:

Dave Coulter said...

He probably freaked out when he saw that trike! :)