20 May 2008

A mishmash meme

Deniz tagged me again. Since I ignored her previous tag, I'd better respond to this one, or she may never play Scrabulous with me again.

Forget the rules.

What were you doing ten years ago?
I don't remember.

What are 5 things on your to-do list for today (in no particular order)?
1. Commute to work in the rain. (It wasn't too bad.)
2. Rent a car to drive with Megan from St. Louis airport to Carbondale for the AMS meeting. (Done.)
3. Go on a walk after lunch. (Did it for 45 min.)
4. Post on the blog. (Doing it now.)
5. Play Scrabulous on Facebook with Deniz and Simla.

What are some snacks you enjoy?
Nuts! I probably get about a 4th of my daily calories from nuts, especially, the chocolate covered ones.

What would you do if you were a billionaire?
Cross out my name from the list of millionaires. Then I'd retire and wouldn't have to worry about commuting in the rain. I'd buy lots of books. Where would I put them though, we are already out of space for them. Establish a graduate student scholarship in my name to provide funds for the study of the evolutionary biology of mollusks. Buy real estate, buy stocks (diversify, diversify...). Give some to Deniz and Simla (the nieces). Buy more chocolate covered nuts.

What are 3 of your bad habits?
Pillage, plunder and loot (until I become a billionaire).

What are 5 places you have lived?
In reverse order some but not all: Germantown, Ann Arbor, Manhattan, Istanbul, Izmir.

What are five jobs you have had?
I have only had one real job, the current one with a U.S. Government agency, my entire life and I will probably retire from it after I become a billionaire. Previously, I had always been a post doc, a teaching assistant or a research assistant, etc.

What are the last five books you have read or been reading?
Sven Anders Hedin: My Life as an Explorer.
Madison Smartt Bell: Lavoisier in the Year One. (Reading it now.)
Kemal Tahir: Esir Şehrin İnsanları. (Reading it now.)
Zen Master Dogen: Enlightment Unfolds. (Reading it now.)
Mark D. Bertness: Atlantic Shorelines - Natural History and Ecology. (Reading it now.)

What are 5 4 websites that you visit daily (in no particular order)?
The Free Dictionary at least once, but usually several times a day. It's more fun to use now ever since they've added British pronunciations.
BBC News
Yahoo Comics
Weather in Germantown

I ain't tagging no one.


No comments: