22 June 2008

1st hummingbird of the summer

hummingbird1

Every summer the 2 trumpet vines (Campsis radicans) in our backyard become a major, if not the main, nectar source for the local hummingbirds. I photographed this bird around 4:30 yesterday afternoon. It must be a ruby-throated hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) as that is the only northeast hummingbird. Since this particular bird didn't have a ruby throat, I suppose it was a female. Look how short its legs are.

It was the 1st hummingbird I have seen this year. Pictures from August 2006 are in this post.


1 comment:

Katie said...

I saw the first hummingbird this past week as well. It was hovering around the honeysuckle blossoms. It did not stay around long enough for me to get my camera and photograph it. They are lovely to watch.