08 September 2008

Cultured coconut milk, eh?

This is something new I picked up at the Whole Foods Market on Saturday. Apparently it is made by fermenting coconut milk with the usual yogurt bacteria, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Streptoccus thermophilus and the like. I don't quite know what I am supposed to be calling it, though. So Delicious? How original is that? "Do you have So Delicious cultured coconut milk?" Is that what I am expected to say to a shopkeeper? They could and should have come up with a better one-word brand name.

CulturedCoconutMilk

I saw several varieties of flavors, but decided to try the plain to get a better feeling for the intrinsic flavor of cultured coconut milk. It had a custard-like consistency and a mild but noticeable coconut flavor. And luckily, it wasn't too sweet. I enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, however, in terms of nutrition, from one 170-gram cup of cultured coconut milk you only get carbohydrates (16 g) and fat (7 g) and essentially nothing else. The amount of protein (1 g) is insignificant. In comparison, an equal weight cup of nonfat yogurt gives me 15 grams of protein; enough to keep me going from breakfast until lunch.

So Delicious cultured coconut milk would be an enjoyable dessert once in a while. But it's not something I would want to have in place of my yogurt.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh, this sounds yummy! I am picking up some asap!