05 September 2008

So many phyla so little time to eat them all

In response to yesterday's post about my lifelong goal to see at least one live member of each animal phylum, Tim Pearce sent an e-mail to remind me about his goal to eat one species of every phylum. His rules are: "it has to be intentional and verifiable, but needn’t be the whole animal".

Coming from Tim, that's a shuddering thought, for he otherwise claims to be a vegetarian!

Tim says he has so far eaten from the following animal phyla: Porifera, Cnidaria, Ctenophora, Platyhelminthes, Nematoda, Nematomorpha, Rotifera, Tardigrada, Sipunculida, Bryozoa, Ectoprocta, Brachiopoda, Mollusca, Annelida, Arthropoda, Chordata and Echinodermata.

I forgot to ask him what the tardigrade tasted like.

As for me, I have intentionally eaten only from the Chordata (who hasn't?), Mollusca, Arthropoda and Echinodermata. The latter was the ovary of a sea urchin eaten raw right out of the poor animal that was still alive.

If I am ever offered a nematomorph to eat, I will pass the plate. Thank you.

1 comment:

Christopher Taylor said...

I can't imagine that a loriciferan would offer a ver filling meal.