09 January 2009

Cats of Istanbul - Part 3

IstanbulCat8

I had an aunt who had been born with a hearing deficit. Unfortunately, her handicap was not identified correctly when she was young; instead, she was thought to be mentally retarded, which she was not. She grew up to be self-sufficient and had a steady job for most of her adult life. Nevertheless, she lived alone in Istanbul and never had close friends. She loved cats. Cats gave her the affection and meaning that her interactions with humans couldn't provide.

IstanbulCat7

The aunt did have a quirky personality. For one, she was a hoarder. Towards the end of her life, her apartment had become impassable. Once I visited the place just to take pictures (without her knowledge), which I still have. On another occasion, she requested my photographic services for a macabre and dismal project: I was to take pictures of her posing with a dead cat, her favorite who had died a few days earlier. I still have those negatives too.

I dedicate this series of pictures of cats of Istanbul to her memory.

IstanbulCat6

Part 1
Part 2

More to come.

1 comment:

Deniz Bevan said...

I've got a photo of one of her cats sitting on a stool. Must be one that you took. He/she was a very cute cat.
(word verification: perin)