22 January 2009

Squirrel tracks in snow II

SquirrelTracks5

Alongside those of a dog and a human, I noticed these tracks of an eastern gray squirrel in weekend's snow. The squirrel was traveling in the direction towards the top of the picture.

Because of the unique pattern they create, squirrel foot prints are among the easiest tracks to identify (rabbit tracks are somewhat similar, though).

SquirrelTracks6

Note that the longer prints in the front are actually those of the hind feet. The drawing below explains how a squirrel creates its track pattern.


Drawing from Anonymous. Animal Tracks, Stackpole Co., 1954.

Part I

3 comments:

Charlie Sturm said...

Aydin,

I respectfully disagree with your comment that squirrel tracks and rabbit tracks are somewhat similar. The hindleg-foreleg pattern may be the same, however, the rabbit track that my dog and I followed have very long, narrow hindlegs that I find distinquishable from all other tracks. These observations are based on 13-1/2 years experience of observing many mammalian species including raccoons, opossum, groundhogs, squirrils, chipmunks, foxes, mice, dgs, cats, and skunks.

take care and hope to see you at the MAM meeting in March.

Charlie

JTSvino said...

Thanks for the nice photo of squirrel tracks and drawing showing how they run. I posted a link from my blog entry describing a tracking hike I did in Arlington Massachusetts where we saw some squirrel tracks on Feb 1 2009.

Joe
Arlington Natural Connections Project


http://arlingtonnaturalconnections.blogspot.com/

aristata said...

Your blog looks interesting. I just arrived via a search for animal tracks in snow. I had no idea what they were but took the time to follow one trail. I had about decided it was a rabbit, but then, suddenly, the tracks ended at a large Norway maple and I knew it had to be one of my squirrel buddies. I have a very large Persian walnut tree in my yard, and in season squirrels are a daily sight.
thad, kendrick, id