In the last installment of this series about my captive slugs Megapallifera mutabilis, I mentioned that I had found eggs in the slugarium.
Last weekend I found an itsy bitsy teenie weenie alug crawling around the small glass petri dish that was housing the eggs. I quickly got a small piece of tree bark covered with algae, which seems to be their primary food, and transferred the slug on it.
The baby slug was about 6 mm long. Note the numerous tiny red spots, in addition to the larger black ones, scattered throughout its mantle.
At that time, most of the remaining eggs had almost fully developed slugs in them that were recognizable by their dark spots visible thru the egg cases.
Last night I noticed that several more had hatched. I am hoping to raise as many of them as possible and eventually release them to the wild.