18 March 2009

Busycon sinistrum from Florida

The start date of our annual pilgrimage to Florida is approaching. So I am going thru my data and photos from past trips to plan my research activities for the upcoming trip. When I am down there, I unavoidably get interested in intertidal gastropods. This one was photographed last March at a beach south of Tampa.

BusyconSinistrum1

It is probably Busycon sinistrum, the lightning whelk, although I may be mistaken. The thing next to it is a string of its egg cases. Don't ask me how that came out of that snail; it was probably laid by a larger individual.

BusyconSinistrum2

As its name implies and the above picture shows, B. sinistrum is a left-handed or sinistral species. You can see the snail's operculum deep inside the aperture.

No comments: