15 March 2009

Slug experiment in progress

Since 10 o'clock this morning, I've been running an experiment with 6 individuals of the slug Megapallifera mutabilis. First, I let them get dehydrated by exposing them to the ambient air in small cups covered with a mesh.

SlugExperiment1

I weighed each slug once an hour for 5 hours. At the end of the drying period, I placed each slug on the underside of a lid and then put the on top of a vial of water. The purpose of the 2nd part of the experiment is to let the slugs regain the water they lost in the 1st part.

SlugExperiment2

It is past 5 pm now and the experiment is still going on.

6 comments:

John said...

I notice that #3 is missing in the second photograph.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Right. I had put #3 in a glass container & moved it to another room to take its pictures.

Laquera said...

what is the purpose of this experiment? I don't fully understand that

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

I wanted to watch the behaviors of the slugs after they were placed near water. Especially, I wanted to see if they would enter the water.

Daniel said...

. I can't find any mention of the results of your experiments and I am curious what they were since I am planning on doing a similar experiment for a paper for my highschool. I would be grateful if you could take a few minutes to share your experience.

Daniel

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

The results of those experiments have not been published. I would probably have to repeat them.