10 March 2009

Turkey takes another step in its downward spiral towards Islamic fundamentalism

Turkish newspapers (here and here), the journal Nature as well as Turkish bloggers (here and here) are reporting that TÜBITAK, the government-controlled science funding organization of Turkey has removed from the March issue of its own popular-science magazine Bilim ve Teknik (Science and Technology) an article about Charles Darwin and evolution. A planned cover featuring a picture of Darwin was also replaced.

DarwinTübitak2

The blatant censorship was apparently ordered by TÜBİTAK's vice-president Ömer Cebeci. It's a sad occasion for Turkish science and the intellectual future of the country.

For an update, see this post.

4 comments:

Betül said...

Together, we can make a change. We no longer should be quiet against ignorancy. Therefore thanks for the post & support, Aydin.

Betül said...

Check this out:
http://scienceblogs.com/clock/2009/03/anti-evolution_censorship_in_t.php#c1458506

ACK said...

Thank you for drawing attention to this. I am Turkish scientist in the USA andI am so depressed by these news. There are those of us from Turkey who are outraged by this. People say other countries especially USA is no better in terms of people not believing evolution. Maybe... But they certainly do better in terms of civil rights and freedom of speech.

Secularity was the top reason I was proud of my country. And to see this slipping away is painful. This is certainly not the Turkey Ataturk had envisioned... But worse, it's not even the Turkey I grew up in (and I only recently turned 30) or even the Turkey of my parents' generation... I had a very good education, and grew up in a secular environment which contributed to me becoming the successful (female STEM) scientist I am today.

How quickly things change.. And what a shame...

Deniz Bevan said...

So awful and depressing. What are they afraid of? Well, I guess I can answer that question. But it's sad and frightening to see people act afraid of knowledge.