27 April 2009

How to mark a snail shell - Part 3

The Triodopsis that I was notching and releasing last fall survived the winter (Part 1 and Part 2). At least some did. Last Thursday I collected 11 live adults and 3 empty shells. 5 of the live snails had notches in their lips.

I had notched the lip of this one and 3 others like it and released them on 10 November 2008.

TriodopsisNotched

The 5th live snail had a notch elsewhere in its lip that I have been able to date to 8 August 2008. That snail has been an adult for at least 8.5 months.

The 3 empty shells also had notched lips. One of those snail apparently died when something cracked its shell.

In part 2 of this series, I had the picture of a snail that had repaired the notch in its lip. Surprisingly, none of the live snails I collected this time had repaired their notches.

3 comments:

Wanderin' Weeta said...

What kind of file do you use to mark the shells? I have on hand a small triangular wood file. Would that do the job?

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

I have a small, narrow file with a triangular edge. I think I bought a set of them from a crafts store.

Wanderin' Weeta said...

Thanks!