03 May 2009

American Oystercatcher on Courtney Campbell Causeway

oystercatcher

On our last day in Florida last month we were driving on Courtney Campbell Causeway across the Tampa Bay when I spotted this bird. Because I was on the slower side road with plenty of parking, I could stop quickly. I jumped out of the car, grabbed the camera from the back seat, ran to the rocks and took this shot. Unfortunately, the 35 mm macro lens happened to be on the camera. Then I ran back to the car, put the 40-150 mm lens on, ran back to the rocks, but the bird was gone.

If I'm not mistaken it is an American oystercatcher.

6 comments:

Jason R said...

You are not mistaken. It is an oystercatcher.

John said...

Oystercatchers are really neat birds.

O. B. Sirius said...

We saw some American Oystercatchers in Baja, and they were actually opening an oyster shell (or some other shell, we weren't close enough to be sure it was an oyster) and using their long beaks to get at the goodies. Neat bird.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

I would love to photograph them opening oysters one day.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is an American Oystercatcher and is one of the rarest birds in Florida and is listed as a Species of Special Concern by the FL Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. We actually have almost 20% of the FL population nesting in a small area of Tampa Bay called the Alafia Banks in Hillsborough Bay. Their numbers have declined dramatically in FL due to the overdevelopment of the coastlines. They are on nests now and I work to protect their nest sites in HB which is not easy during boating season!

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Thanks for that information. Next time I am down there, I'll try to make a special trip just to get better pictures of them.