25 May 2009

Phil spills his guts out, ends up in garbage

Remember cassettes? I bought my last one, I think, in 1992. But I still have about 100 cassettes and a working cassette player that I keep in the basement. As you can imagine, almost all of the cassettes are from the 1980s; but there are a few from the late 1970s that are, amazingly, still playable and with a good enough sound quality to accompany a late night snail dissection.

Cassettes had a propensity to malfunction (the surviving ones still do). Sometimes they could be repaired by removing a bad section and reattaching the loose ends with tape. But I don't waste my time with such things anymore; at the slightest sign of trouble I toss them in the trash.

cassette1

This morning I pulled out the cassette from the player to find out that a lengthy section of the tape had come out.

cassette2

It turned out to be Phil Collins' No Jacket Required. And look at this fine mess he got me into.

cassette3

So long Phil. Now I have about 99 cassettes left. I will continue this slow process of attrition until either I run out of cassettes or the cassette player, already about 20 years old, goes kaput.

7 comments:

Deniz Bevan said...

Do you replace the cassettes with CDs or downloaded music? I'm slowly doing that with my own 100+ cassettes, but many of them are mix tapes I made of other people's tapes, or interviews, etc. that I recorded off the radio (plus bootlegs of concerts or tape recordings of family and friends talking). Another of my endless long-term To Do tasks is to transfer all this info onto digital files...

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

I have replaced some of the songs in cassettes with digital music, but I am not going to do that with Phil. My interests have also changed over the years.

Deniz Bevan said...

Not to mention you can always hear him on some easy listening radio station - it's not exactly rare stuff :-)

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

But who listens to the radio any more?

Deniz Bevan said...

I like listening to it over the internet sometimes, while at work...

Frank Anderson said...

It dates me, but that album came out during my sophomore year in high school. Nostalgia city!

I have all my Phil Collins stuff on cassette, too, and it is basically useless to me now. We have a functioning cassette deck in the old Honda, but I never use it. I guess it's time to get a Phil Collins compilation on CD. Or download one, as I did a Rod Stewart compilation late last week (I just couldn't bear the thought of going another minute without hearing "Tonight I'm Yours (Don't Hurt Me)")...

Jannavi said...

Aaah, Phil Collins...I am fan of his too. Luckily for me, Raag, also a fan, put it on his IPod a while back. We have our share of 99 cassettes too but have kept it in the long term project house of digitizing them. Left to me, they would follow the same path as your 1 cassette in a blink :)