23 June 2009

Melongena corona dives

Back in April when I was in Florida, I did some simple seashore experiments to investigate the behavior of the common intertidal snail Melongena corona. At low tide the snails usually bury themselves in the wet sand. My experiments consisted of removing the snails from their holes, placing them elsewhere on the sand or on rocks and then watching them. Here is one that I transplanted on a flat, wet rock surrounded by water.

MelongenaCoronaDives

A few minutes later the snail came out of its shell, slowly crawled to the edge of the rock and...

video

As usual, the video was made by stitching together sequential shots.

5 comments:

Frank Anderson said...

Plop!

That seems like a lot of work. Dude, you need a new camera -- the newer cameras will shoot good digital video. We don't use our actual video camera any more -- our Canon PowerShot is so much more convenient and the video is good enough.

How is our economy supposed to recover if you don't spend more of your money? You should've listened to Bush! ;-)

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

I am in the market for a new camera, but haven't found the right combination yet. I need a camera that can take hi-res close-up videos. And when I say close-up, I mean really close.

Kirk said...

Take a look at the Nikon point & shoot cameras. The higher end ones focus real close, do video and also time lapse.

Kazimir Majorinc said...

But what happened to snail after he fallen on so unfortunate way?

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

It crawled away. It's a marine snail, you know.