04 July 2009

It was 5 years ago today

Time flies when you are procrastinating. I mentioned in this post back in December of last year that I was working on the material collected during a land snail survey we had done in Turkey early in the summer of 2004. I am still not finished, because after December I took a long break and worked on other stuff. I am now back at it and I intend to finish sorting all the specimens by the end of the year.

Imagine my pleasant surprise today when a bag of shells I picked randomly had the date of 4 July 2004. It seems like it was only, well, 5 years ago.

D51

D51 was a pretty rich station with about 22 species. In the picture you can see a couple of long and narrow Bulgarica shells near the center and a couple of white Albinaria puella to the right. The tall white shells near the top are Zebrina cosensis, while the large, flat ones are Oxychilus samius. The tubes are holding the smaller shells.

One interesting non-snail specimen that was in the bag was this insect larva.

D51drilid

It appears to be a drilid larva (becaue it is hairy). The larvae of the beetles in the family Drilidae are predators of land snails. Surprisingly, I don't seem to have written about drilids before. But there is a summary of a paper I once wrote about them on this page. It was one of the first 2 papers I wrote on snails. One of these days I am going to scan it and turn it into pdf.

4 comments:

Harlan Ratcliff said...

I saw a different kind of beetle/snail interaction that I am not sure what to make of:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/296803
I visited the same site a few days later and found the snails again but no sign of beetles.
There is probably something going on there but I don't know what it is.
Harlan Ratcliff

Anonymous said...

Nice selection of snail shells Aydin! It must have been a rich ecosystem. I am jealous! I miss my days hunting land snails. There aren't many snails here in NYC, not only because it is citified, but mainly because the soil is too acidic.

Best,

Susan J. Hewitt

George said...

Could that be a dermestid larva, the bane of natural history collections everywhere?

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Yes, it could be a dermestid larva, they are also hairy & we do get them in the basement. But it is not, because I found it in a sealed bag (therefore, it came out of a snail shell) & it has a pair of cerci that are characteristics of drilid larvae. There is a nice picture of a drilid larva on this page.