09 July 2009

Where do dead birds go? — Part 16

Sometimes they just stay there, like this dead catbird I photographed the other day by the side of a road. It was probably a hit-and-run victim.

DeadCatbird

Or, like these remnants of undoubtedly what was once a bird. I've been passing by them on a path on my way to and from the train station every work day for about a month.

DeadBird1

For whatever reason, there seems to be quite a bit of interest out there in figuring out what happens to birds after they die. A Google search using the phrase "where do dead birds go" returned 11,200 hits*. I have already provided an answer in this post.

The moral of today's post is that anyone who spends a lot of time walking, while paying attention to what's on the ground, is bound to see plenty of dead birds, in addition to other types of expired creatures, for example, salamanders.


*In comparison, when I searched for "where do dead rats go", I got only one hit. I don't know if there are more rats or birds, but birds, being more visible than rats, obviously create more interest.

3 comments:

John said...

They also end up here.

I think the second photo might also be an ex-catbird. I'm going by the long tail feathers and short wings, and overall grayness.

xoggoth said...

I spend a lot of time walking or running in the country and I am looking at the ground (collecting feathers for the missus who is doing a school thing on native Americans) but I never see any.

It is clear from patches of feathers that they die but I think the foxes, cats or other smaller predators soon remove them.

Most dead birds I see are on our patio after hitting the windows unfortunately.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Put some stickers on the glass to warn the birds.