11 August 2009

That was a cooked snail on my fork

SnailEating

And yes, I did eat it, my exaggerated pose notwithstanding. This was last Friday night when we had dinner with a large group of relatives and friends in a Montreal restaurant. The snail was kindly offered to me by Etyen Mahçupyan, visible behind me in the picture, from the plate of Snails Provençale with Pesto he had ordered as an appetizer.

What did the snail taste like? Why, like pesto, of course. I don't know if snails have an intrinsic flavor. I think the flavor normally attributed to them is simply the combined flavors of the spices and other ingredients they are cooked with. Correct me if I am wrong.

3 comments:

Deniz Bevan said...

I tasted one too. It had a mushroom-like texture, but not as rubbery. I don't think I could eat more than a few at one time... Great photo!

Anonymous said...

I love escargot in garlic butter. But I've been told that cubes of sponge dipped in garlic butter taste pretty good, too, if perhaps a bit chewy. Don't suppose it has anything to do with the garlic butter, do you?

Carl C

Kazimir Majorinc said...

You should have more empathy.