17 August 2009

Where do dead birds go? — Part 48B

Continuing our series on what happens to birds after they die. The previous posts were here, here and here.

And here is a bird that lost its head and couldn't go anywhere.

DelisleDeadBird

I photographed this one 10 days ago near the Delisle River in Quebec, Canada. There were geese and ducks and one gull in the river, busily feeding themselves. But I can't tell what species this dead one is. As judged by the size of my shoe, it was a relatively large bird. A duck perhaps?

So, once again, if you do a lot of walking around and pay attention to what's on the ground, you are likely to see plenty of dead birds, in addition to snail shells.

3 comments:

John said...

It doesn't look to me like the feet are webbed, so I think it's probably not a duck. Given the thin legs and chicken-like feet, I think it's most likely some sort of wader. One possibility would be a youngish (juvenile or first summer) night heron. A second possibility would be a large shorebird, like a yellowlegs, which are migrating right now. A third possibility would be a juvenile Cooper's hawk, though those don't really look like raptor feet to me.

Kirk said...

Juvenile ring-billed gull. They're pretty common there, size is about right,plumage says to me it's young.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

There indeed was an adult gull in the river. The legs & the feet of the dead one were mostly skeletonized; that's probably why the webbing is not obvious.