20 October 2009

A mysterious corpse on my desk

MysteryCorpse

I sat down to write about a caterpillar I photographed yesterday. As I was putting down my beer bottle I noticed this thing that was on a piece of paper on the desk in front of me. Thinking that it was a piece of dust, I was about to blow it away when I noticed that it had wings and miscellaneous appendages. I don't know what it is and how it ended up in my basement. It is about 5 or 6 mm log; an accurate measurement is difficult, because the body is folded over itself.

OK, I have blown it away and it is now dust.

I will write about the caterpillar tomorrow. Maybe.

5 comments:

AJB said...

Messatoporus rufiventris maybe?

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

It could be. Just posted the pic on BugGuide.net. Maybe a more definite ID will come.

xoggoth said...

Ah, a waspy. Died from lack of jam I expect.

xoggoth said...

PS I expect it would have laid its eggs in your caterpillar anyway.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

The ID on BugGuide.net has progressed down to the subfamily. It's apparently an ichneumon wasp (Ichneumonidae, Cryptinae).